Thursday, June 29, 2006

Lesson 2: Shit Happens....Life happens

The thing that i really remember about my journey through the torturous night shifts was the obvious fatigue that gripped your mind, body and soul. After a long night shift which was often dragged by another 2 hours due to heavy call volume. The body used to be tired to the hilt. A stretched shift could drain out the will to live from your body. I remembered, sitting on the front porch, my mind refusing to work, my heart wishing to stop beating for a little while, eyelashes praying silently to drape over the reddened eyes. Add to that the other things that never stopped happening at the homefront. The continuos fights, and upheavel and the crying. (Had recently lost my father that had led me into joining the call centre in the first place.

I used to sit there and pray to god to let me give up. I remembered the tears that flowed in prayer from my eyes. A prayer to god to make me so weak that i would give up on life, stop the misery and reach out to my father who would take care of me. But i could not. Never could i GIVE UP ON LIFE. no matter how much i prayed, no matter how badly my body wished for complete silence, no matter how many times my heart cried for the peaceful sleep for it hurt with every heartbeat...my soul refused.

Nothing, my soul stayed free. And though it was shattered and tired, it was relentless and stayed with me. Through the moments when i was at the lowest in my life, my soul wished to touch the blue sky and take me with it. It stayed with me and I stayed on.

And after those moments, and the comfort of my bed when i woke up, i could hear my nephew giggling somewhere in the house and i realized...Shit happens....LIFE HAPPENS!!!

2 comments:

~ Deeps ~ said...

seems like ur time out there in bpo industry was not something u can forget easily cuz of the hardships u went through....but as u said shit happens life happens....its better to move ahead and take the learnings frm the past experience..........

Kanika said...

well...BPO did have an effect on me...for good or bad i wouldn't say. But now that i am working again...i remember them as the good old days...

and the hardships were not the job...but the phase of life....

am still learning