Wednesday, May 02, 2007

King of Spades II

Alisha tried to keep her mind focussed on her drink, yet it was not a possibility. Her eyes strayed towards the couple and her heart let out a whimper everytime his hand went on to hold hers' across the table. What was it she was feeling? She wish she could put a name to the feeling. For it was not regret, neither jealousy and definitely not love. Just a searing pain she had long forgotten about. She stayed put, sipping on her drink and wishing for him to leave so she could leave too. And finally he did, holding the door for the woman before following her out. Heaving a sigh of relief she waited for another ten minutes and left. The mall was still crowded but the face was nowhere to be seen. She felt anger surge up...if he could simply walk around not even noticing she moved in the same place, then why should she be so very apprehensive about he spotting her. It would be good in case he did, would only be right if she ignored him too, just the way he had been too oblivious of her presence. Still deciding whether to take the elevators or the escalators she felt someone come and stand right beside her.
"Running away are we?" the voice was too close and too familiar. And he was there, his smile plastered on his face, brows quirked in plain mockery.
"Sidharth...I..."
"How are you Alisha?" he asked, looking in her eyes and holding them captive. And she knew she was mesmerized again.
"I am good."
"You look great..."
Anger mingled with confusion gripped her heart. She should have turned and walked away, perhaps smiled a polite apology and ran as far as she could. But she did nothing of the order...instead she felt her tongue stick to the top of her mouth as her lips dried instantaneously. He was removing the strand of hair from her face and she felt her knees melt under his touch.
"How about a cup of coffee? Would help to knock out the drinks you had..."
"How..."
"I don't have to look to know you are there Alisha. Coffee?" he asked again and then he was guiding the way to the escalators. She waited for a minute, glued to her spot, wondering how he presumed she would say yes. And the voice was prodding her...Wouldn't she? And she was following him again, drawn like a pin to the magnet.

"It's been a long time!" Sid was speaking, no strain in his voice, no visible regret or qualms. As comfortable as meeting a very old dear friend who had lost touch over time.
Alisha looked at the man in bewilderment. How could he do this? How could he act as if he had never done anything wrong to her? How could he sit in front of her and treat her as if she was a long lost friend? why was he not as flurried as she was? But then why would he be upset? He had never loved her...
"What are we doing here?" she asked and he frowned.
"Presently waiting for our coffee!"
"Sid...you know what I mean?"
"Oh come now Alisha...we have grown up...haven't we? Let's just enjoy our coffee...why do you want to beat yourself up for such a small thing?"
"It is not a small thing Sid. The way you used me..."
He waited for her to complete the sentence but she never did that. It was not what she wanted to say. Perhaps she would have liked slapping him, calling him names but then...something else resurfaced without a warning. Something she thought she never really had until Sid had walked into her life.
"Alright...let's talk. How have you been? Where have you been?"
He smiled and waited as their coffee was placed in front of them. Once they were alone again he looked at her, his smile subtle and warm.
"Have been where I was when you left me."
"Sid..."
"You did leave me Alisha...just left me..."
"You are blaming me?" the bitterness was back, pain increasing with every passing second.
"What was I supposed to do Sid? Watch as you pranced about with that woman trying to get her...I loved you!"
"You loved me?" he asked, the sarcasm cutting her like a knife.
"Yes. I did...not anymore Sid..."
He sipped on his coffee and waited for her to settle down.
"Why were you surprised? More importantly...I was always honest with you Alisha. You knew what I wanted out of life...knew how important that woman could have been...then why?"
"Sid you are a sleaze ball." She said and looked away.
"No Alisha. I was practical. I am practical. But I never lied to you when I said I love you...and you know that!"
"Love? You can not love anyone but yourself. I was important to you...but you never loved me."
Sidharth stared at her and she felt tremors of shock run through her.
"I did...I needed you by my side Alisha...I wanted you to stay by my side...but you left me. But I am not blaming you..."
She smirked and looked at him. She had never detested him more than this.
"Sid...you stood me up. We were planning to get married..."
"The time was not right. I needed to play it right..."
"Life, Sid, is not a game of cards. I hope you realize that some day." Alisha was calm now, completely at ease with the situation. Strangely it felt ok to say anything now. And she wanted to say whatever she never got a chance to.
"It is Alisha...I thought you understood that!"
"You and your stupid theories. So who is the new woman?" Alisha asked, wishing to find something to hate him more.
"Deepika."
"Your..."
He looked at her, his eyes trying to read the emotions on her face.
"To be wife..."
"Ah!" she said and sat back on her chair.
"How much is she worth?" she asked and he laughed.
"I really like her Alisha..."
"Cut the crap...how much?"
"Her dad owns the company I work in."
Alisha felt a strange contentment flow through her heart. It was not love...she was right all along...he was not capable of love.
"I miss you Alisha. I really do."
"Oh don't give me that Sid. Not again...I am happily married and sick and tired of stupid power games. And besides I can't give you anything more than I already did..."
Alisha looked at her watch and then again at him, his face masked.
"Thanks for the coffee Sid. And don't come after me...as you said...I am only the Ace...a card you can easily do without!"
With that she stood up and left as tears fell down her cheeks. He should never see them...for he would interpret them again as tears of lost love. But they were tears of betrayal her heart had to endure and finally it was over.

Sid lighted his cigarette as he looked at the woman walking away, her head held high. He had seen her at the shop, his eyes had followed her as she entered the pub and he had been acutely aware of her presence in the same room. Deepika had been too surprised at his obvious devotion to her. How was she to understand that it had meant nothing...he kept looking at the woman he had mercilessly thrown away, only too late to realize she meant everything to him. How wrong he was...running after bigger cards to win the game...How did he forget...It was not the big cards that won the game...It was the set of smaller cards...and he had thrown the most powerful of them all...His Ace of Spades...

6 comments:

~ Deeps ~ said...

hm....why did he realise and wat made him realise all that ?
sorry for being little frank out here........and why Ace of Spades isnt that the biggest card....then why little cards written in end ? and how king of spades come in play here ?
thoda sa confusing ho raha hai mere liye :(

Kanika said...

Wait...let me write a post bout that one!!!!

RB said...

Hmmm...it would be nice if you told us what made him realise that. I understand the point that you are making in the following post, but would really like to know what changed Sidharth's mind.

Not sure if you're looking for criticism but I do not quite like the narration towards the end. It is getting derogatory for the female character. I can feel all that you want to convey and was actually quite happy when Alisha at least felt like slapping him, but just the use of words like 'throw away' didn't go down well with me.

But yes, I like this story because it has more content. It's nice. :)

RB said...

Or was it just a realisation that dawned on him one fine day? I'd buy that, I think it's quite plausible. It happens. I know. :)

Kanika said...

@ richa

Richa sometimes the road we travel is important but most of the times it is about reaching the destination. How or when he realized Alisha was important to him is not important to the story...or atleast I felt it wasn't. Let's just say I am asking you to enjoy the candy not worrying how it was made?

As far as derogatory is concerned I truly apologise. But I somehow felt it was honest way to put it. There is no shame in admitting that women tend to get emotionally attached rather fast, and that incidences like these leave a certain mark...they either get revengeful or rush back to a man like Sid...but Alisha was stronger. I portrayed her as a woman of substance...if that was not obvious...then I...well I need to work harder.

And criticism is always welcome...more so. thanks...honesty is highly appreciated

RB said...

It is about reaching the destination but somehow I give the road near-equal importance.
There's more to learn there.

I totally don't mind having the candy without worrying about how it was made but curiosity got me wondering, that's all. :)

I agree, there's no shame is admitting that women tend to do that and that is not what I am pointing at. Anyway, chuck it.
It was very obvious that Alisha was stronger. I like the 'realness' of your characters. I personally know someone like Alisha. She makes me feel proud of her because in spite of her weak moments she is standing up for herself.
You can work harder - no harm in that - but don't need to on that particular aspect. :)