Friday, May 04, 2007

Tete a Tete

It's been a while now that I had a small chit chat with any of us. Talking in stories can get really confusing now...hence this small little post. The past month was an ordeal for Call Center Diaries...the pages paled and withered in the storm and it meant a distorted story and well loads of confusion. And then there came an outage...a moment in time when the brain truly blanked out. Pre and Post that outage I had posted a small story: King of Spades. And a friend promptly pointed that it was way too confusing. And I endeavor to put out the thought in a simple manner...why write a story after all about something that can be discussed?

It goes without saying that all of us sooner or later come across situations in life that tend to shake the very ground we walk upon. Sometimes our beliefs are shattered, our faith questioned and hope destroyed. And during those specs of life we are left thinking and pondering about the magnitude of the problem, the endless maze of unanswered questions. It happened with me recently. I was completely oblivious of the storm that stood by my doorstep and got drastically drenched. But I had to keep walking. As I tried to find my way across I happened to learn a card game. A card game my dad used to be an Ace of and I had never truly cared to learn. But soon I started liking the game for its simplicity. The game of cards counts the points only for the Spades suit and the King of Spades hold the maximum points...13 while the Aces in the game hold a point each. During one game while I sat engrossed in my worries...about life and how to win the game I realized I had all the big cards...but what was the point? I was loosing all of them for I did not have the smaller cards in my hand. And I just ventured...It is the not big cards that can make you win a game...its the smaller cards.

And the thought stayed. The fact that if I was to use a metaphor and associate a deck of cards with life...then what I needed to do was try and win the game. And I had to concentrate on the seemingly smaller cards! In other words...I had to think about the things that look like a small problem and usually left unattended. These small problems usually hold the key to the larger problems. With this thought also came the thought that like the problems...it is also true for happiness. A thing often repeated by many is that happiness comes in small packages. We all go about our life, trying to attain that elusive happiness by means of big things...yet in the end the true happiness comes with the smallest of the things. A small smile, a hug and a pat on the back. Small moments held together makes our lives worth living. We seldom understand that and in the end have only regrets for we tend to let go of the smaller things in life in the thirst for something Big!

King of Spades is a character that is present in all of us. In varying amounts, yet very much present. the story was only a metaphor...it only went out to sell the idea that we might be unknowingly letting go of the only thing that truly makes us happy...

What say?

7 comments:

~ Deeps ~ said...

totally agree to it.....smaller probs are biggest threat to any person and they shud be taken out from ur ecosystem asap..............

btw this still doesnt make the story less confusing......
as for card part, it clears up a lot but for rest, story still leaves some Q's unanswered........

Butterfly said...

This is ur post till date.
I completely agree with u. We indeed overlook the small things. But, we forget that the small things make us more happy than the big ones. Recently, we've read a poem in Bengali called "Chhotor Dabi" ( Demand of the small). Using various examples, the poe says that all small things touch our heart and mind more than the big ones.

Titash said...

Well in context of the story, I feel that you have justified a point which I always thought was very insignificant!

RB said...

I totally agree.

Kanika said...

@ deeps

hmmm....let the story be that confusing. Sometimes its best not to completely understand the happenings.

@ butterfly

True...I would love to read that poem...could I possibly ask you to translate the one for me?

@ titash

Well I am glad...insignificant is nothing...

@ richa

:)

Titash said...

One a really insignificant note I tagged you with a image link..just tell me if the image which links back at you suits your taste..if it does not..do complain I will pull it down and upload something else!

Banvri said...

this is a post ..but somehow difficult to implement ..but i think u r write