Friday, December 15, 2006

Wind Came Knocking on my door....


The sound woke me up. It was a strange sound…maybe it was the door that rattled a bit…or perhaps a lazy swoosh of the curtains that had disturbed my sleep. I lay awake in my bed, still dazed by the sleep, wanting badly to sleep on. The warm blanket was coaxing my eyelids to drape over my eyes again, cooing a comforting lullaby. Yet the sound was there again, a strange whisper of movement. Sighing I sat up, wasting some time to search for my slippers. The chill in the room forced me to grope for the shawl lying by me bedside. Finally I, frowning and grumpy, left my bed. It was a shame to do so at this early hour. Yet the sound was nagging me. It was not unpleasant…just a constant th th that made you feel like shutting it.

The door grumbled again and I hastened towards it. An instinct made me stop, wait for that noise again, wishing it to be a dream. Yet it was there and I took a deep breath. Exhaling slowly I opened the door.

For a second I could not breathe as cold air enveloped me like a cocoon, making me shudder. Forcing my eyes to open I saw her, suspended in the air. A woman so sublime you would miss if you blinked. Floating in front of me she seemed to giggle, blink her eyelashes and vanish. I wasn’t cold anymore. It was all there…wide expanse of absolutely nothing stretched against the inky sky that seemed to turn gold as sun pierced its midst…

I turned and looked at my room that lay in semi darkness, could make out the outline of the bed I have slept on for years now, the counter was decked with books and I could make out the old withered blanket that had warmed me these many winters. The walls were perhaps not the same, neither was the surrounding familiar to the eyes. Yet the feeling was familiar. The wind swooshed down low to my ears and whispered as temple bells started to chime at a distance…

You are home…it said and glided away. I smiled and closed my eyes. Yes…I was home!!!



I have recently shifted my house and needless to say Iw as very very upset. Yet after a week it seems...ok I guess. Am still getting used to staying on the 8th floor...yet it feel allright!


I also apologise as i am not a photographer and neither do I have a god camera...this is a pic of the sunset clicked from my humble phone!!!...i guess it gives you as idea...

7 comments:

~ Deeps ~ said...

the pic is nice and so is the description......the view from such a high place is always amazing spl if its so open....

bharti said...

Amazing effort by ur phone...and wat a description...
Now i have to visit ur new place soon...
Finally....u r not scared of heights....

Kanika said...

@ deeps

Thanks...and very true

@ bharti

Well Finally!!! U better do that!

Banvri said...

This wonderful pic n wat makes this beautiful is ur words..:)

lovely post dearie ..

Kanika said...

thanks so much :)

Unknown said...

Hey this is nice. Your words do justice, as they were supposed to, to your camera's wonderful work.

Kanika said...

(blushing) my camera's work?

Well I wud not spoil the compliment...

Thanks. I am glad you liked it!