Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The two seconds

It's that time of the year again when for some unknown reason we feel a smile hovering over our lips. The year draws to a close and we get ready, few to party, few to study and so on. Yet everyone can feel a strange happiness seep into your body. Try as hard as you can, you feel this invigorating spasms off and on!

Perhaps I am talking about my personal self! Perhaps few of you relate to this and few dont. Yet I recalled the New Year's Eve in Daksh eServices. The holiday season in America and for call centre employees...the rush time. Especially the process I was working for...phew...the call volume was insane. You would end a call and grasp for a breath and the damn avaya would ring again...And then after extended shift when you stepped out into the dark night you felt fog enveloping you in its midst. With shiver running through your spine you could almost feel....ALIVE.

I remember clearly that new year's eve...i was one of the unlucky one's who was working. Well....My shift started at 11:00 p.m...the constant chatter was on, the moment I logged in...I knew...I would be fighting for a minute's breath. Nonethless the calls started pouring. THe workstation was abuzz, the bays jingling away in a variety of accents. Few were standing, few sitting on the carpeted floor. I could see many jumping up with excitement. As we kept chattering we saw our team leaders busy in their own worry. Then I saw my team leader going from one team member to another...he was there on my workstation. On the notepad he simply scribbled...
Put him on hold for 2 minutes on 11:59
And then it was that time, the workfloor was on hold for 2 minutes....those who had no calls were on AUX, and those who were entertaining a call politely on some pretext put the customers on hold. And there it was...the countdown, the synchronized chant which happens when people just murmur the counting...the excitement was building and then the workfloor was screaming...It was a New Year....We shouted, wished one and all a Happy New Year and it was time to get back to work. Within seconds the chatter was back to that constant glub of nothingness, a bunch of whispers. People who had shouted a minute ago were now lazing back on their chairs while trying to explain a plan to a customer.

I don't know how i felt at that particular moment....I dont remember how I cursed Daksh for making me work on New Year's Eve...all I remember is that one moment when we were all a big family, from various parts of the country...we were not hindu or muslim or christian....we were just one...enjoying the end of an year and beginning of another...I just remember that one moment that brought a wide smile on my face....

the two seconds....

8 comments:

~ Deeps ~ said...

hmm.....its tough working in CC...but the kind of bonding u get out there even for few secs is more than what you will find in most of the corporate offices. anyway, still after all this, i wish i never had that 2 min kind of bondin ever in life.

Unknown said...

I think at some level we all relate to your post. It is a special time of the year. And it means something to everyone...it's time to reflect, count your laurels, ponder over the mistakes, and look expectantly at what's going to come next.

Ankur said...

the fun is more precious when it is earned admist hard work..

Voice said...

~from deepti's blog

good one.will take ur 2 second :P
happy new year

Kanika said...

@deeps

Well true...its no piece of cake....but the fact it...you remember it...and dont wish for something you have never witnessed....trust me...it was worth all the irate customers...

@ sayan

Very true indeed...pondering done, laurels counted....but the most important thing is....WE PARTY!!!!!

@ ankur

AGREED MAN...its been so long i have had that satisfaction or enjoyed the way I did in call centres

@ bhav

Well.......:) Happy New Year to you too

INFACT TO ONE AND ALL...

HAPPY NEW YEAR.......2007 is here!!! Yippee............

RB said...

Hmmm...the celebration sounds good. Yeah, worth those 2 seconds. :-)

And yes, a new year brings with it all that you have mentioned. You give yourself an opportunity to start afresh and leave behind whatever you want to.

Happy New Year!! :-)

Kanika said...

A very Happy New Year to you to dear....

and yes...2 seconds is all it takes!

~ ॐ ~ said...

i do not know how many festivals, and new years were spent in office now... but then i remember how much it used to be for me... i loved it... and i still miss it !!!