Sunday, March 11, 2007

Happy Endings!


Sunidhi looked at the boy and girl sitting on the table opposite hers. There was a certain peace about the way the two were sitting, totally relaxed. There was no need to talk. Off and on they would say something and then a comfortable silence would follow as the two smoked away and sipped on their coffee. Picking up her own cup of coffee she felt memories of days gone by come back. It had been a very long time indeed she had thought about them. A smile lighted her face as she wondered there was a time she could not think of a day without him. And then life had decided somethings else for her...she knew she had to walk away...he knew she had to go and she had left him. She still remembered the day she had said Good Bye...

"Please...don't make it so hard for me!" Her voice was barely a whisper. He was holding her hand, had held it for the past hour and a half now.
"You do remember your promise don't you?" he asked, his voice strained, eyes red. He was in pain, she knew it.
"I do. And I would...before you die...trust me I would meet you once...I have to. Because I have to kill you, " she mocked and he smiled and tightened his grip on her hand.
"Why can't I keep you for myself?" he asked and she felt tears forming in her eyes.
"You can't and you won't. I have to go now," she said and tried to move her hand away. He looked into her eyes then and her heart seemed to whisper a silent prayer that things would somehow change...that she would somehow end up with him. She felt it squirming in her chest, begging that he would not let go of her hand, would hold on to it and tell her that he was not ready to give up on this relationship so soon...that he would find a way. He let go of her hand then and she moved away...she was strong enough to get up and leave but she knew she did not have the strength to say Good bye to the only man her heart had ever loved.

Sunidhi shook her head and looked across the table at the man. Her husband of past 17 years. Life had changed so much.
"What are you thinking?" he asked and she shrugged.
"Just days gone by. Sometimes I really wonder...what if I would not have married you? What if I would have married a guy who was totally different from you...say a complete opposite?"
"Well...either he would have killed himself or you would have killed him."
"And why is that?"
He looked at her, his eyes mocking her.
"Well...because you would have wished to be with me. So we would have run away and out of depression he would have killed himself or you would have simply done that to get rid of him."
She shook her head and kept the coffee cup away...
"And why do you think I would have wanted to be with you? I did not love you!"
"Oh I know you don't love me honey...it's just that you made a promise once...and that was that you would kill me!"
The wind started to glide around in happy circles. Sunidhi raised the cup in salute and sat back, a smile on her face. She had never said good bye...Some love stories, she thought, were not meant to reach a happy end...and some...like hers...somehow did!

10 comments:

RB said...

I love the description of that last moment. It's touching.

Unknown said...

"Some love stories, she thought, were not meant to reach a happy end...and some...like hers...somehow did!"
Very well written. And interesting story.

Kanika said...

@ richa

Thanks honey...

@ woodie

Thanks...I built the story on that line...:)

~ Deeps ~ said...

i agree with woodie....excellent line........well written

Anonymous said...

Doesn't happen too often...does it?

~ ॐ ~ said...

behtareen....

Kanika said...

@ deeps

Am glad u liked it

@ bharti..

Well ours most definitely won't be!

@ prashant

Thnks:)

Butterfly said...

Very good story and very nicely written.:-)
This is definitely one of your best posts till date.

Kanika said...

@ butterfly

Thanks sweetheart. :)

Anonymous said...

yeah it was a bit touchy..but well written