Friday, March 02, 2007

In My Element!

A very strange incident once made me wonder just how fascinated I am with the color that is actually not a color. Black...the color of the night...the color that brings to me the feeling of being home. Comfort is what the color inspires in me. And today with Holi just round the corner I shall talk about my color...my element...about Black!
I knew Black was always there but when my best friend started noticing that every birthday I wore nothing but black I knew it was something I was really partial to. And then my mum started complaining that I wore nothing but black. So much so was the love that when after two odd years i chanced to meet an old friend from Hughes he remembered that Black was my favorite color, promptly telling me that he never saw me in any other color! My MBA days were totally black...a friend once threatened me that if I wore black another day she would tear my suit or perhaps burn a hole in it! Yet off late I went away from Black. As I say...i got deviated and it was majorly because it is not appropriate to wear black to office and everything of the sort! My blacks were now limited to expensive suits meant to be worn on special occasions. My wardrobe which had at one point of time no other color than black went blue, mustard, green, purple, red and god knows what all. Slowly black retrieved into one corner and that was that! Two days ago I went back to my element. I was completely black and I knew...I was home. People perhaps wonder what is with this strange fascination with Black. And I try and explain to them what black means to me.

Black is everything in itself...a beginning and an end...black is life, black is love...many would frown at me associating black with love but somehow in their hearts they would agree...its that void that is complete, its that chaos that brings peace...its that state of confusion that brings contentment in its wake...its that color that makes everything equal...for when lights cease....everything is nothing but Black!

Black for me signifies the three most important words...Hope...of a bright morning after the dark night...
Faith...in that power which is as empty yet as whole as the color...
And Love...the essence of life...the darkest and most primitive emotion whose two extremes are Black! the emotion that negates light and make everyone equal...

Here is wishing everyone a Very Happy Holi...

7 comments:

RB said...

A friend recently told me that he's never met anyone who feels so strongly about a colour as I do. I shall ask him to visit your blog. :-)

Subhadip said...

Not to mention that your email address has black...

~ Deeps ~ said...

well i can only say its my fav color too :)

Kanika said...

@ richa

You do that girl! ;)

@ subhadip

Well yes it does...black is everywhere!

@ deeps

Same Pinch! All I want to say is gr8 taste in color!

Unknown said...

I love black too. It's powerful and makes a statement every time.
Happy wearing!

Kanika said...

@ woodie

Happy Wearing indeed! I was actually hoping you would like black too!

Unknown said...

Aha...and why is that?
Although my favorite color is red mind you. But then again, maroon or any richer shade of red with black is my favorite combination for formals.