Monday, January 01, 2007

Strangers in the Night!

She frowned and took the proffered matchbox without a second thought. Lighting her cigarette she passed it back.
“Thanks…”
“Don’t mention.” He paused as she puffed on her cigarette, smiling at the look of utter disappointment spread over the face.
“Let me guess…bad call?” he asked, a smile lighting the face.
“Oh…well the woman was just not ready to give me her social…I mean it’s not as if I would impersonate her or something!!!”
He chuckled and nodded, inhaling on his cigarette.
“But she would have her insecurities you know…not every person would trust a complete stranger like you…I mean would you…trust a complete stranger?”
She looked at his face from behind the smoke. A nice friendly face, a little too long to be totally handsome, deep brown eyes, small cropped hair and a nicely trimmed French beard…
“Well alright I would have my insecurities trusting someone just like that…but…”
“There are no buts. Different people…different insecurities!”
“And what is yours? Would you trust a stranger?”
He looked at the face, trying to decide whether the eyes behind the glasses were brown or black…but what difference would it make! It was a pretty face, etched skin, prominent cheekbone and straight black hair tied in a high ponytail.
“I would love to…”
She raised an eyebrow, shrugged her shoulders and took another drag.
“It is a tough thing you know…” she started and had his attention, “to build trust.”
“I beg to differ!” he said and she stared at him. The sun was rising beyond the horizon and with the first glimmer of morning light she was disposed to think he was rather…attractive. There was certain arrogance in him that made you wonder…
“You think it is easy to build trust?”
“Certainly. It’s very easy…what is difficult is to keep it!”
“Oh….that ways!” she said and he smiled.
“Yes, that ways. Say for instance if I was to make you trust me…it is damn easy for me…but to make sure that I don’t break it…now that is a tough thing to do!”
“Why would it be a tough thing?”
“Because not all men are honest inside out now…are they?”
“Well they should be!!!”
“There are many things that should and shouldn’t be…yet life is not to be lived by a book. What is the fun if you do all the should be’s and never the shouldn’t be’s….think about it…smoking is a shouldn’t be for instance!”
She laughed and licked her lips. Taking the final puff she looked at her watch.
“Well I better push off and find my cab…”
“And I shall go and sign in!” he said and she smiled at him.
“Namrata,” she said offering her hand which was clasped in a firm handshake.
“Abhishek. Nice to meet you…”
“Lovely meeting you. Bye then.” Namrata said and after another polite smile she turned and started walking away towards her cab. The irate customer totally forgotten and forgotten the fatigue that had held her body captive. It was a bright and sunny morning…Abhishek looked at the woman walking away and removed another cigarette from his pack. A smile hovered on his lips…

Call centres at their best. It was so easy to talk to anybody back then. People would just start a conversation...not bothering to know who the person is.....This is to all those wonderful men I had a little chit chat with while I waited for my cabs in the morning or enjoyed a cup of coffee in my breaks. I dont remember their names for it is for those few whom I had the priveledge to talk just once....yet I do know...I was not the only stranger in the night!

8 comments:

Voice said...

good one...
ur description is a detailed one

RB said...

Simple and beautiful! :-)

Unknown said...

Awesome. I was hooked from the first two sentences itself.

~ Deeps ~ said...

excellent .........

Kanika said...

@ bhav

Thanks pal...:)

@ richa

Thank you girl...have to say I miss the vague thoughts!

@ Woodie

Coming from you...I am honored girl. I'll be honest...I really wait for your comments...and was a bit disappointed when you left no comment on the post the Night Out...

@ deeps...

:) I am glad you liked it!

RB said...

:-) How sweet!

But you can visit my current blog. It IS mine after all.

~ ॐ ~ said...

every word of this post is something that i have lived myself...

every time you write something about the call centres i get emotional.. the best bonds, the best conversations, the best work, the best team, the best supervisor, the best friends... the best of everything i had there...

right there on the gate of 314... and i still go there again to see my friends walk up from the stairs in the basement to meet me... and i can only smile with the thoughts...

thanks you Kanu....

Unknown said...

@ Kanu
I had started reading it. Let's talk about this over email. Drop me a line at sayan10e@yahoo.com and we'll discuss this further