Thursday, October 05, 2006

Last Words

"A wise man once said, when you reach the last page of the book...close the book."

This phrase was repeated in the movie Love bug and it has stayed with me since the time I first heard it. Pessimistic, cynical and perhaps depressing...I would not know what to call it. Yet it talks of the realities of life as we know it. How many of us have reached the end of something yet we hold on to the last memory with dear life, staying with it as time slips by our hands. What was that wise man thinking? What did he wish for us to do? To stop fighting or to simply accept the end and move on. Different perspectives. One is optimistic if we wish to see it like that; the other - indication of accepting fate.

Why am I talking about this...I woudn't know. But this is what came into my head when I decided to write this blog entry. I felt myself asking the all too important question...was I holding on to the last page of this book (read a certain issue in my life) or am I ready to close the book and move on to the next. But experience tells me that the last word is all too important in any book.

A few favorite last lines/phrases/words that make a book are

Happily ever after...

If...

Maybe, just maybe...

I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.

Truly, would you not for less than that make the tour around the world?

It made me wonder if i was to close the book...what would be the all important last line...

or on which line would i want to close this book...

I am still thinking...what would be that last line of your book?

3 comments:

~ Deeps ~ said...

and there lies the new morning......new rays of light to guide me to a BETTER phase of life......

quite optimistic i am....... :)

Unknown said...

"After all tomorrow is another day."
Margaret Mitchell's famous last lines in Gone With the Wind, made even more famous because Scarlett said them. In that one last line Mitchell put in everything -- Scarlett and her devil-may-care, kick-ass attitude, her undying optimism, her love and hunger for Rhett...everything. And what an enigmatic end. I love that line. Wish I could somehow make it mine for keeps.

Kanika said...

@ deeps

Optimism...hmmm. Lovely line needless to say...every morning brings in a prosmise...

@ woodsmoke

Easy I say...close the book every night you sleep...the line fits remarkably well.

I still haven't read Gone with the Wind but would do so soon...